4 April 2014
National Citizen Service Programme
We have recently committed to becoming a Champion School for the National Citizen Service (NCS). The NCS programme is a fantastic opportunity for your son/daughter to be part of a national programme, whilst adding experience and skills to their personal statements for the future. It is also a programme recognised by UCAS and a growing number of local and national organisations.
Here’s a brief outline of the summer programme:
1. A 5-day (4 night) residential based on team work, confidence building and challenge at an outdoor activity centre. Transport for this element is provided.
2. A 5-day (4 night) residential based on personal development and life skills at Northampton University, Park Campus – the week will include sessions delivered by selected local organisations to discuss employability skills and community leadership. This week will provide an excellent opportunity for students to experience university life and improve their project management skills to help in the planning of their community projects.
3. A 5 day planning week with their team based at Northampton College, Booth Lane. Young people will take a lead in planning and organising their projects with their chosen teams.
4. 30 hours community action project to be delivered by their team in a community close to home on a project that they create & manage.
5. A celebration event to showcase their projects and to celebrate their personal and team achievements throughout the programme. On completion of the programme they will receive their NCS certificate, signed by the Prime Minister and become and NCS graduate.
This is the third year that the programme has run in Northamptonshire, and our local provider, the University of the First Age (UFA) are the delivery organisation who are very experienced in running the programme. Over 75,000 young people have completed the programme over the past 2 years across the UK and we are fortunate enough, as an NCS Champion School, to have sufficient funded places for the programme for all of our Year 11 and Year 12 students. The programme contribution fee is just £35, as the rest of the cost is funded by the NCS trust. There is also a bursary scheme available for students entitled to Free School Meals and families in financial difficulties ¡V please indicate this on your application form – Click here
There are 3 different programme start dates this summer:
- 30th June
- 14th July
- 4th August
There is also a shorter programme in the October half term. Registration for all of these options are open now.
Please have a look at the website www.ncsyes.co.uk to get a better understanding of this fantastic programme and also click on the following link (or copy and paste in your browser) to see a 7 minute video clip which explains the benefits of being involved in NCS:
We encourage all students to attend NCS and believe that it carries immense value in young people’s transition to adulthood, further education and employment.
Can I please encourage you to complete your application and post it off as soon as possible to our provider, who will then liaise with you directly and provide further information? Places are limited for each programme and are issued on a first come first served basis.
Senior Pastoral Manager