NEC Skills Show!

On Friday 20th November we took a range of Year 9 and 10 students to the The Skills Show at the NEC. The Skills Show is the UK’s leading experiential skills and careers event for young people. A wide range of leading employers and training organisations, including Toyota, Jaguar Landrover, BAE Systems, High Speed Two, IBM and NHS Careers, as well as colleges, training providers and careers advisers, were on site to talk to. Celebrity hairdresser Nicky Clarke, entrepreneur and dragon from The Dragons Den, Theo Paphitis, and InterContinental chef Theo Randall were all special guests at the show.

Students enjoyed a huge range of activities including: model making, photo booths, Army climbing walls, sampling food prepared in the Catering section, discussing apprenticeship opportunities with leading local businesses and much more.

Some of the comments from students who attended include –

“the best part of the Skills Show was fixing part of a car, and meeting someone from the Army who was able to answer questions I had”

“I learnt what I need to do, to have the job I want to do, when I’m older”

“the best part of the Skills Show was being able to see professionals carrying out a demonstration of what the job involves”