U17 County Cup Final v NSB @ Blisworth FC

The day finally arrived for the teams long awaited cup final. The travelling squad to face an as always strong NSB side was as follows; C Bignall, J Page, M Fagence, S Hicks, B Torpey, J Hughes, R Dawkins, J Davies, B Stanmore, S Heavey, A Smith, L Mitchell and J Richards.

As both teams entered the field, CCS led by skipper J Richards, the crowd were expectant of a great final and they were not to be denied.

Both teams started well and in the opening exchanges CCS were seeing more of the ball and gaining confidence with each minute. Early chances for J Richards and A Smith were saved by the keeper and rolled just wide respectively. At the other end the commanding C Bignall was in fine form. His most notable stop a free kick which he tipped just wide. J Page, S Hicks, M Fagence and B Torpey looks organised and in control for much of the first half. J Hughes and A Smith were giving the team much needed width and causing problems down the flanks. The threat from NSB came when they found joy from exploiting the space in behind our back four, but again C Bignall was up to the task. As the teams led in at half time CCS would feel slightly disappointed to not be leading the game.


As the second half began both teams had an even share of possession CCS again looking to be winning the midfield battle thanks to the tireless work of B Stanmore, S Heavey and L Mitchell, supported on the flanks by A Smith and R Dawkins. As with all football games, you have to score when you are on top and the feeling was that now was the time. As CCS pressed forward a cross was cleared away from danger, only to fall to the feet of Smith a good 30 yards from goal. A Smith struck the ball and it flew through the air into the top corner of the goal, the keeper didn’t move, a fantastic finish. The CCS team mobbed A Smith to congratulate him on his wonder strike. The team had done well to get in front but now had something to defend……

CCS defensively were looking confident but the threat from NSB was increasing as time was running out and they were pushing more men forward. CCS looked up to the task, with J Davies and B Torpey keeping tabs on their ‘fresh legged’ wingers, until a speculative effort took an unfortunate deflection off of a CCS body and the wrong footed C Bignall had no chance. 1-1. As time ticked away it was as if only a wonder strike to could win this game. NSB had a chance cleared off the line by their own player in the dying moments. With seconds remaining the tremendous J Richards broke free for CCS and managed to volley an effort towards goal, the keeper was beaten, this could win the cup……and then the ball struck the outside of the post and the full time whistle sounded. Extra Time.


The extra time was cut down to 6 minutes each way due to the light. If the scores were still level after that 12 minutes then the county cup would be shared. Extra time as expected was a cagey affair with neither team wanting to lose the game at this stage, the first half flew by.

The second half was much the same and as the light dimmed so did the prospect of us finding a winner.


A fantastic game played in a good spirit by both teams and the trophy was shared. Well done to all the squad, and if it is possible to win a cup on how good a goal was then we would probably have won next years cup already!!!!

Well played boys and lets go one better next year.

Mr Rich