Skip to content ↓

U16 Boys National Cup Football v Redbourne - 5/1/23

On Thursday 5 January the U16 boys travelled to Redbourne.  After a postponement due to snow before Christmas a brisk wind greeted the boys on arrival in Amptill.

The game started with CCS creating some good early chances.  Inside 10 minutes a defence splitting pass from J. Rayfield found T. Allen, who delivered a perfect first time cross that found goal machine A. Morrow at the back post, and he headed home to give CCS the lead.  CCS were on top for the majority of the half but struggled to capitalise on the dominance.  The half finished 0-1, still work to do if we were to progress.

Early in the second half a defensive mix up gifted Redbourne a chance to level things up and their frontman made no mistake with a tidy finish.  Shell shocked CCS restarted the game and A Evans immediately won a penalty after some neat work in the box.  Up stepped Captain J. Rayfield who dispatched the penalty into the bottom corner.  CCS were starting to get on the ball more now and made some changes.  A well worked move that started with J. Bedford in goal was finished confidently by L Wooldridge to give CCS a cushion for the first time in the game.  Redbourne hadn't read the CCS script and scored a well worked goal to reduce the arrears to 2-3.

The referee found a total of 13 minutes added time in the second half leading to a nervy finish. In the final moments L Napodano broke through and finished well to make the final score 4-2 and ensure that CCS comfortably made it into the next round.

A special mention to K. Kakomwe who did a fantastic job on their best player in the middle of the park, but the player of the match was J. Rayfield for dominant display in the middle of the park.

A great performance sending them into the last 32 and a joyous bus journey home!

The reward for this fantastic result is a home tie v Samuel Whitbread Academy on Tuesday 17 January in round 7 of the National Cup.  Well done boys!

Where to next?